Rippleffect Outdoor Leadership Education (ROLE) brings the best of Rippleffect’s curriculum to local middle schools during the fall, winter, spring and late spring quarters of each year. Our guides travel to participating schools one afternoon each week to teach leadership and outdoor skills. The multi-week program culminates in an overnight outdoor adventure in the White Mountains or Casco Bay. The primary purpose of this program is to teach students core life leadership skills such as being proactive and learning how to communicate well with others. Students also learn fundamental outdoor living skills while having a whole lot of fun with a small group of peers.
The pilot ROLE program was developed through generous funding from the White Pine Foundation, and continues to be made possible through local foundation support.
- Students co-create an outdoor classroom space with their guides on the campus of the hosting school. Rain or shine, after school sessions always take place in this living classroom.
- Activities such as Ultimate Base Camp Challenge are intended to prepare students for the upcoming outdoor adventure.
- Team games and initiatives help the group become closer and more highly functioning.
- An overnight three-day outdoor adventure provides a platform for students to utilize their new outdoor living and leadership skills learned during the after school sessions.
- A final graduation ceremony allows students to be recognized for their successful participation in front of their parents, teachers, and siblings.
Students practice leadership skills by participating in a community service project of their choosing. Recent projects have served Preble Street Resource Center, Maine Island Trail Association, and local schools.
- Depending on the season, students winter camp on the mainland or set up base camps on Cow Island. Rippleffect provides all necessary gear and equipment for each trip.
- Students learn wilderness camping and cooking skills, how to dress appropriately for the environment, and general life skills that are essential to surviving and thriving in outdoor environments.
- Games and activities keep students engaged and having fun throughout the adventure (such as sledding and snowshoeing in the winter or zip lining and climbing on Cow Island).
- Mostly, students will have fun, get inspired, and interact with their peers in new and different ways.
ROLE Summer Summit: August 23 – 25
This summer, ROLE Alumni are invited back to Cow Island for our first Summer Summit! Students will build upon the skills they’ve developed in our after school program while out on a 3 day, 2 night sea kayak expedition. Participants will learn how to kayak, practice marine navigation, develop leadership tools and techniques, hone their outdoor living skills, make new friends and relationships, and have an opportunity to set goals and develop support strategies for their upcoming school year. This awesome opportunity is only open to students who are going into eighth or ninth grade, and have completed a ROLE after school program.
Program Tuition: $50 program fee.
This is a grant funded program opportunity; the true cost of this program is $375. If your family is willing and able to support Rippleffect scholarship program opportunities, please consider contributing over the $50 fee.
Click here to enroll today!